WSLWX weather banner

0°C
Wick St Lawrence, United Kingdom
Updated12/12/2017 04:15 
 

About Wick St Lawrence

Wick St. Lawrence is a civil parish and village in the unitary authority of North Somerset. Its population in the 2001 census was 1,296.The village lies on a small creek known as Slutspill near the River Yeo which was inundated in the Bristol Channel floods, 1607. The last wharf on the river was pier and spur of the old Weston, Clevedon and Portishead Railway which was torn up during World War I. For a short period after this coal was imported from south Wales on its own 33 ton vessel the Lily, until it sunk in a gale in 1929. The parish has seen a vast increase in population in recent years, due to the building of the Ebdon Grounds housing development. This is an extension of the development of the neighbouring North Worle area, and the village itself remains separate from the new estate. The parish is in the unitary authority of Kewstoke, and in the parliamentary constituency of Weston-super-Mare.

 

The village lies near the north west extremity of the North Somerset Levels approximately 1 kilometre (0.6 mi) inland from Woodspring Bay on the Bristol Channel coast and between the estuaries of the River Banwell and the Congresbury Yeo. The parish incorporates the two smaller hamlets of Icelton and Bourton and the Ebdon Grounds area of modern housing which is contiguous with neighbouring North Worle itself a suburb of Weston-super-Mare. The M5 motorway runs along the parish's south eastern boundary. The majority of the parish is farmland primarily livestock rearing and comprises low lying fields criss-crossed by hedgerows and rhynes or wide ditches. To the north of the village between the mouths of the Banwell and Yeo is an area of reclaimed land known as Wick Warth. This land is a form of polder and lies between the current sea-wall and an older parallel high grass bank which runs for 1.5 kilometres (0.93 mi) between the estuaries. A similar area of reclaimed land continues on the northern bank of the Yeo in the neighbouring parish of Kingston Seymour. "Warth" is the local name given to such reclaimed polder land.

 

The parish Church of Saint Lawrence dates mainly from the 15th century. It is built largely of pink or grey Lias limestone combined with other local limestones and sandstones. These were used during a major restoration in 1864-1865 by Foster and Wood of Bristol, made necessary after the church was struck by lightning in 1791. This caused cracks to open in the tower which was then reinforced with iron bands. However over the next 60 years the church began to fall apart, prompting the restoration. The window of the church are in the Perpendicular style, while the modest tower has a peal of six bells; the oldest of which were cast in 1655.[5] The intricately carved stone pulpit came from Woodspring Priory in 1536 following the Dissolution of the Monasteries.[5] The Priory had been bought by a Bristol Merchant, William Carr, and his son and heir John Carr (who subsequently became Lord to the Manors of both Congresbury and Wick St Lawrence) arranged the pulpit's relocation. It has been designated as a Grade II* listed building.

 

With thanks to Wikipedia - www.wikipedia.org